. . . living a life of love, inspiration and quality.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Carolina On My Mind


I’ve had the privilege of living in two great Southern states:  South Carolina and Louisiana.  I love them both, but the Carolinas will always be my first love. 
I was born in South Carolina and many of my “little ways” are a result of my deep Carolina roots. My Christian faith, devotion to family and tradition are important to me.  Some values were entrenched early on like “don’t air your dirty laundry” and “you never talk about your family.”   Money was another “off limits” topic.  My mother never talked about money and until she died, my sister and I never knew how much money she had.   To this day, the only people I talk to about money are my husband and sister.  Of course, I’m sure many Louisianans would argue they have similar values, but most seem a little lax when it comes to holding on to them.   
I have fond memories of wonderful grandparents and countless cousins.   My fondest memories include my Granny’s house.  She was loving and gracious and welcomed everyone with a hug.   My cousins, sister and I would spend hours there playing games, telling stories, catching lighting bugs - you name it.  Summer vacations were split between Myrtle Beach and the Mountains and last minute trips to a river or a hike in the mountains were the norm.   Growing up with vacations to Myrtle Beach resulted in me becoming somewhat of a beach snob; as a result, places like Galveston Beach left me sorely disappointed.   Who can resist The Great Smokey Mountains or an east coast beach - not me.    
I love the Carolinas and at times, I’ve held it as a high standard of Southern Living.  I know now as an adult, this high standard was really a devotion to my own family.  I have missed them all so much.   I have loved and been loved by some incredible people.   I can relate to a line in one of James Taylor’s songs, “in my mind I’m gone to Carolina.”  Literally and figuratively, I’ve made that 800 mile trip from Louisiana to South Carolina many times.   I’m in Louisiana to stay, but the Carolinas will always be a part of me.
 

Also read...
 An Ode to the South by Brian Wilder





3 comments:

Michelle said...

I am so glad you stopped by Southern Somedays! I completely understand your deep love for SC. Although I was born and reared north of Atlanta, I spent my summers with my Grandparents in a little town in the Upstate of SC (Pickens) so when my husband's job brought us to SC 20+ years ago it was like coming home (although to the PeeDee region and then back to Clemson in the Upstate...and then stops in OH and NY before finding our way back to our beloved PeeDee!) I do think people are just nicer here and things seem to roll at an old fashioned pace which I love. Have a super weekend!

Rosemary said...

I completely agree that SC seems to roll at an old fashioned pace. I do so love it and miss it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosemary! I love the south as I was born in Alabama though I'm really more south living now on the Texas Gulf Coast. Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)